Nav bar

Governor commissions me a Kentucky Colonel, ascension to landed gentry complete

Last month Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear commissioned me as a Kentucky Colonel. Best known for being bestowed upon KFC’s iconic founder, here’s some background on the designation:

The highest honor awarded by the Commonwealth of Kentucky is that of Kentucky Colonel.

Commissions for Kentucky Colonels are given by the Governor and the Secretary of State to individuals in recognition of noteworthy accomplishments and outstanding service to a community, state or the nation.

A list of Kentucky Colonels is a Who’s Who of outstanding men and women around the world. The certificate, signed by the Governor and the Secretary of State and bearing the Great Seal of Kentucky, has hung on the walls of such distinguished leaders as Presidents Lyndon B. Johnson and Ronald Reagan, and English Prime Minister Winston Churchill. Certificates are also proudly displayed by great second grade teachers and brave volunteer firemen who have performed in an extraordinary manner.

So what did I do to merit inclusion in a group that includes two of the most influential people of the last century, Louisvillians Muhammad Ali and Hunter S. Thompson? I’m afraid telling would cheapen the honor for all parties.

That being said, I’m contemplating the professional impact of asking that “Colonel” be included on my byline.

[Updated May 25, 2011: There are many individuals worthy of becoming a Kentucky Colonel. Please don’t ask me for a nomination, however—nothing personal, I just don’t feel comfortable recommending someone I don’t know.]

, , , , , , ,

6 Responses to Governor commissions me a Kentucky Colonel, ascension to landed gentry complete

1. Colonel S. Burton February 28, 2011 at 8:10 pm #

How does a Colonel get applications to recommend well deserving people to be appointed?

• Kenny J LANGFORD November 6, 2016 at 2:32 am #

I would love to get a applications at 6783 Barbara dr Dayton ohio 45424

2. Zach Everson March 1, 2011 at 10:05 pm #

I’m not sure. I’m sure if you contact the office of the secretary of state or the Honorable Order they’ll know.

3. william b. perdue May 19, 2011 at 2:11 am #

Col. Everson, I am writing to you to find if there is a way for me to be commissioned as a Kentucky Colonel. I am 70 years of age and a Lay minister with the united Methodist church. I sincerely wish to become one to help people in need. My wife Jan is a native of Carrolton Ky.
    and she would be so proud of me if I was commissioned as a colonel. But I don’t know any
    colonel that would sponsor me. Can you Please help. you can reach me at my e-mail address or by
    mail. William b. Perdue
    7894 Crofton dr.
    Parsonsburg, Md. 21849

I would ever grateful and proud of any assistance
    you may be able to afford…thanks and God Bless

4. kenny langford October 14, 2016 at 12:06 pm #

I WOULD Love to be a KENTUCKY COL I live in Dayton ohio my adss is6783 Barbara dr.

5. kenny langford October 14, 2016 at 12:11 pm #